Thursday 20 March 2014

Following a hobby abroad


Australian War Memorial in Canberra

Besides travel, my other passion is genealogy and family history. I have made various trips to places where my ancestors lived and hope to do more of these journeys.

I belong to a number of genealogy and family history groups. Some are face to face groups and others consist mainly of people who only know of each other from the printed word or online contacts.

In Toowoomba Clare invited me to visit local family history society.

On a recent trip to Australia I was able to meet for the first time several people from one of my family history groups. Not only did we share ideas about our common interest, but it was enjoyable spending time with them and getting to know them. In Canberra, the national capital, I met Barbara who took me to the Australian War Memorial museum.

Roll of Honour commemorates armed forces members who died due to war service.

I also learned from my new friends about some of their local places I would not likely have discovered otherwise. In Queensland Clare and Paul showed me the historic, rural Spring Bluff railway station.

Queensland's Historic Spring Bluff Railway Station

No comments:

Post a Comment