Tuesday 24 June 2014

Hostelling again

After I introduced a fellow traveller to airbnb https://www.airbnb.com/, he recommended Booking.com http://www.booking.com/ so I used it to book a hostel for my next stop. The Pil Pil Hostel in Bilbao had space and good reviews and I booked for 3 nights. 


At the Pil Pil Hostel in Bilbao, Spain


Arriving by bus from Madrid, a 5 minute walk brought me to the hostel where a friendly staff member checked me in and oriented me to the facility. It was light, bright and clean. In the large 12 bed female dorm (6 upper bunks and 6 lower) I got crisp, white sheets to make up my bed and a locker to store my valuables – my computer bag and purse fit but not my suitcase. 

When I realized the tram ran in front of the building I had been a bit worried but it seems to stop for the night and start again in the morning at reasonable hours. I have had two very quiet, restful nights at the hostel, unlike my last two nights in central Madrid on the weekend. 

Not surprisingly, so far I am clearly the oldest person here but the young people are friendly. I have chatted with several from various countries, including a few who are walking the Camino de Santiago. 

It has been a few years since I stayed in hostel dorms; the last time I recall was 2005 in Sydney and the Blue Mountains when I was travelling alone in Australia. A decade ago my husband, son and I had a room with 2 sets of bunks at the YMCA in Munich, Germany.


http://www.hostels.com/hostels/munich/cvjmymca-muenchen/709 


Two years ago my sister, her husband and I found our 3-bed room in a new wing of Oslo's HI Haraldsheim hostel a good way to cope with Norway's high prices.


http://hihostels.no/en/hostel/oslo-hostel-haraldsheim/ 



Breakfast room at the Pil Pil Hostel


So far my experience at the Pil Pil Hostel has been very positive and the price was right. With an advance booking I got 3 nights for 45 euros, which includes a continental breakfast. When I added an extra night due to a change in travel plans I was charged the regular price of 19,90 euros. I may try this again elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment