Sunday 13 July 2014

A-maze-ing myself in Enschede



Current canine companion Samba contemplates path


The Netherlands city of Enschede (population about 160,000), where I am doing  a house and dog sit, is a very green city with many foot and bicycle paths. Some paths are for bicycles and pedestrians to share but many, if not most, are for one or the other. Some are paved and some not.


This network  of paths is amazing or maybe a-maze-ing is more accurate after yesterday’s adventure on one of our dog walks. Taking a path I had not previously been shown, I thought I had in mind how to return. At least the sun was shining so I could identify the directions. However, at some point I realized I must be off the simple neighbourhood map I was carrying. 


When I could actually find a street on the map, I saw I was to the north of “home” but which of the many winding and intersecting streets and paths in the area, few of which were labelled or even present on the map, would get me back I could not determine. 


Finally I showed my map to a man trimming some shrubbery who gave me a few simple directions that put me on the right street. By then I was not very far from the house and it had been a scenic walk with many lovely gardens along the way. Maybe GPS would be useful for dog walks.





No comments:

Post a Comment