Friday 12 June 2015

Sorting & reviewing

Dad made these wooden boxes. 

Dad made these items. Who would like to have them?

Did this little jug belong to Granny? Who will look after it now?

Do you remember who gave this to Mum?

My sisters and I are sorting our late mother’s possessions.

One of Mum & Dad's squirrels. 

Since my latest return to Canada at the end of April, a major focus has been helping my siblings sort the contents of our late mother's house. We have made a number of trips to the farm where our parents lived for most of their 61 years of marriage and our mother lived alone for 5 more years. 


Apple blossoms in May.
Peonies in June. 
On each trip to the countryside this spring we have appreciated seeing the birds and the squirrels our parents enjoyed. 


We have delighted in the sight and scent of trees and flowers in bloom, both the wild ones and those in Mum's garden. 



However, the house where we grew up is now nearly empty and virtually unrecognizable. We carry away photographs and furnishings that will remind us of our parents and gifts we gave them over the years. We hope these items will help us retain some of the warmth of our family home as we knew it. 


Gift I got my parents Summer 1967 when I worked in Jasper National Park.

I try not to take much and only small items as I have nowhere to put anything large. I have been downsizing the past 5 years since my husband’s passing, our son’s moving out with friends, and my relocation to a small apartment then to a nomadic life once I retired. 


Starting to fill my storage unit October 2011.

One sister suggested I may have been downsizing much of my life as I have had frequent moves over the years, several of them across continents.

As my son is relocating to British Columbia this summer I am on standby to assist him with his move. Finally, I plan further sorting of my own treasures, in storage nearly 4 years.


Too many boxes.
Searching through my storage unit for seasonal clothing or other items I need is inconvenient and I know the unit still contains a good deal that is unnecessary. Books, mementos and my genealogy files are the hardest problems to solve. 



How much can we recycle?
In recent years I have appreciated no longer having a house and yard to maintain. I have enjoyed travelling light and plan to live as minimalist a life style as I can. Wish me luck.

1 comment: