Friday 8 August 2014

Cycling in the Netherlands

Cyclist on a bike path.

No, not me. My Dutch friends did find a bicycle for me. It was too big though for my short legs and I decided not to risk it. It has been several decades since I did cycle touring in Tasmania and New Zealand and rode a bike to work in Queensland. Since then I have seldom been on one.

Bike riders are all ages.

Nearly everyone cycles here, as you may know. People of all ages, often with their shopping. People going to work. Parents with children for and aft in all sorts of carriers. Women in dresses and even high heels. Family groups, one that appeared to be parents, children and grandparents.

Clear markings on bike lanes.

With a strict “yield to the right” rule, cyclists turn onto main roads immediately in front of cars and even big trucks. The ultimate traffic rule here is “cyclists rule”. Pedestrians get some respect – from motorists.

Motorists turning right are warned to watch for cyclists in the bike lane.

In a month in the city of Enschede I have seen only three riders with helmets. Two were racers in spandex and the other, a little girl learning to ride her two wheeler. I have observed several young people texting while biking. For discussion on bicycle safety in the Netherlands see these blogs.


http://www.bakfiets-en-meer.nl/2008/10/16/bicycle-death-statistics-in-amsterdam-and-the-netherlands/

Child carrier and bike in bicycle shop window. 



No comments:

Post a Comment