Saturday 23 August 2014

Walking the dog here and there

Walking with Amy & Samba in The Netherlands, April 2013.

I’m feeling disconnected. There is no leash in my hand or canine companion at my side. I have just completed another dog sitting gig and I am once again walking alone.


Daphne in Australia wonders if it is too hot for a walk, December 2013.

In the past couple of years I have walked dogs in Canada, Australia and the Netherlands. For me this has been an everyday life experience in a home away from home. 

Samba enjoys a walk in The Netherlands, July 2014.

Sometimes the few weeks caring for a dog as part of a house and dog sit has given respite from the intensity of visiting museums, churches and other cultural and historic sights while travelling.

Tess in Canada wonders if it is too cold for a walk, December 2012.

Walking other people's dogs has provided a structure to my day, exercise, time in nature and time for reflection. Would I get my own dog? No, I have no desire to be tied down. Looking after someone else’s dog is like being a grandparent – at the end of the visit the responsibility can be handed back. 

Dogs in a parade I watched today in Ieper, Belgium.

No comments:

Post a Comment